Coverack is a quite unique and most attractive Cornish fishing village built on both sides of a spur of rock that juts out into the sea. It has a harbour full of small fishing and pleasure craft, also wind surfboards for hire, with a pub close by, a large, mostly sandy, and completely safe beach, and an old lifeboat house and slipway, groceries and gift shops, post office, church and two village halls make up the village.
Fish and fresh crab can be bought from the boats when they come into the harbour, which has a seat running around it and is a real suntrap – a super place for lazing away an afternoon or for taking a dip when the tide is high, for fishing and messing about in boats. There are beautiful walks to nearby coves, but somehow once you are in the village there seems no real need to go anywhere else!
The Coverack Singers provide entertainment in the village hall and there are also lots of other goings on such as exhibitions of various sorts, beach barbecues, the carnival, regatta, lifeboat day, the Carolaire, music for summer’s evening in the church, etc. An ideal place for a relaxing and gently entertaining holiday.
In years gone by Coverack was one of the coves actively engaged in the smuggling trade.
The National Trust have recently cleared this important archaeological site.
The naval/coastguard signal station was shown on the 1811 OS map but by 1891 only the chimney and gable end were standing. The building was refurbished during the mid 19th century but never used. The present purpose built Watch Hut was built in 1915 and remained in use until 1987.
Dollies Amenity Area
This picnic area is situated off the B3293/B3294 and was originally a Council dump but in 1983 following a Commons Commission hearing and on the evidence given by Cllr James Richards, the Commissioner directed Cornwall County Council to register St Keverne Parish Council as the owners of the land. Since that time there have been steady improvements with tree planting and siting of picnic tables. Walking through the picnic area brings you to the rab pit which is now designated an approved Regionally Important Geological Site, the rab was used for surface maintenance and a charge made.